Leggi questo post in: Italiano
aren’t these necklaces pretty? no, i didn’t make them. i saw them at a market in april 2011. i don’t remember what latin american country they came from, but they’re made from seeds, acorns and little cirlces of orange peel. i really love natural jewelry, such as my melon seed necklaces and tagua jewelry that i bought in colombia. (what awful pictures in that old post!! luckily i’ve gotten a bit better since then!) i bought the necklace on the far left and was determined to make myself one from orange peels.
except i didn’t know what to use to dye the peels. but luckily i remembered the recycled dye from dried up markers and i tried it. quite a few times.
first i peeled the oranged and cut out circles with an apple corer. i bet that some sort of non-serrated cutting tool would have worked better because this left the edges a bit rougher than the original version. i also tried cutting some other shapes out with a knife, but i could cut out decent circles that way.
i put the peels in the dye and, after a few days, i drained them.
then i let them dry on some paper (which i kept for wrapping paper). here you can also see the used marker parts for making the dye. then, before they dried, i threaded them with a needle.
the inside part of the peel got dyed well…
…but the outer peel not so well. it either stayed orangey or became some rather unpleasant colors. except the green, which came out well.
so i thought that maybe they would dye better without the outer peel. i took some while they were still wet (when they dry they become too hard and thin to cut) and i tried to cut off the external part… except they got all crumbly. failed.
so for the next experiment i cut off the outermost part of the peel before putting them into the dye, leaving as much as possible of the soft white inside part.
the color came out pretty nicely, but part where the outer peel was cut away was sort of weird. and when they dried, they got a little too thin and curled in a bit too much. i also noted that, when passing the needle and thread through them, the dye from the darker circles stained the lighter ones, leaving a line through the middle where the thread is, and you could see it too much because they were so thin. once again, failed.
i thought: what if i thread the circles and dry them without dying them? not bad, but the material is too obvious this way. so i put them in the dye when they were already threaded and dried out.
i decided to go for it one more time. i used the first method (leaving the outer peel) but perhaps leaving them longer in the dye, for quite a few days, if i remember correctly (hey, a year’s gone by since then! with everything that’s happened this past year, this was certainly not the most important to remember!). they came out nicely and i like the effect of the outer peel, but the bumpy edges curling inwards still bother me. so, if you want to try out this technique, i’d suggest you cut with some that isn’t serrated and perhaps let them dry pressed between books (and a bunch of paper to absorb the liquid) or a press if you are equipped with one. and don’t forget, let me know how they come out!