Leggi questo post in: Italiano
One sewing pattern in either English or Italian (choose your preferred language in the drop-down menu above) for the Simple Leggings pattern for girls. Please note that this is an instant downloadable PDF pattern, NOT a finished sewn product!
The Simple Leggings pattern has three lengths (long, ¾ length, and shorts) and both high and low waist options, so you can make versions for any time of the year or any temperature! They are perfect to wear as regular bottoms under a shirt or tunic, or layered under skirts or dresses.
Depending on the fabric used and the outfit they’re worn with, the Simple Leggings can be fancy or casual. Girls can wear them to school, to sports practice, on the couch reading a book or to a pajama party!
Beginners can easily sew Simple Leggings with a basic stretch stitch and zig zag stitch, while more advanced sewists can also use a twin needle and/or overlock machine. All techniques are described in the instructions.
Why is this pattern awesome?
- Options, options, options: Choose between three leg lengths and two waist heights.
- So versatile: Little girls and teenagers can wear leggings with shirts, tunics, dresses, skirts, in all sorts of situations and in all types of weather.
- Comfy travel: Wear leggings under a skirt when travelling so you can remove them or put them back on as needed. My daughter and I always have a pair of leggings with us when travelling, especially when it’s by plane!
- Quick results: Once you’ve prepared your pattern and sewn a first pair to figure out how to make them, it’ll take you no more than 30 minutes to sew each pair. That’s a very quick handmade garment!
- Fit any girl! With 13 girl’s sizes and instructions on how to modify the pattern shape, you can fit any unique body shape! Scroll down to see the size chart below.
- Perfect DIY gift: Every gal loves leggings and can use another pair. Why not sew a pair for each of your daughter’s friends? (You can also get the Simple Leggings for Women pattern here so that you match your favorite gal!)
- Beginner level: Don’t fear if you’ve never sewn stretchy knit fabric before. The instructions give you all the information that you’ll need, and this very simple pattern is a perfect first project with knits! In addition, links are provided to even more detailed photo and/or video tutorials for the techniques.
- Simplicity and speed: Two PDF files for instant download and home printing so you can get started right away.
- Save printer ink: An additional pattern file for printing at a copy shop is included, so you don’t have to use up your printer cartidges or assemble pages. Also consider reading the instructions from your screen instead of printing them out.
- Ideals: Sick of supporting sweatshops and massive chain stores who don’t guarantee worker safety and dignity? I don’t blame you– I am too! When you sew your own clothing, you are supporting a small, family-run business. Which would be me, in this case! Thank you so much!!
Simple Leggings pattern for girls: lengths
Now for the nitty gritty:
The instructions include:
- 13-page pattern for home printing, with a table specifying which pages to print according to size and length (here’s a tutorial on how to print and assemble PDF patterns). The PDF format also allows you to hide sizes you don’t need in order to avoid wasting printer ink (this tutorial shows you how).
- Extra PDF pattern file for printing on A0 sized paper at a copy shop if you prefer not to print at home.
- Professional line drawings illustrating each step.
- Table with fabric requirements for each size and length.
- Links to tutorials for specific techniques.
To sew this product, you need:
- Regular sewing machine (serger/overlock machine optional for some steps)
- Beginner sewing skills (Need sewing help? Take my free sewing lessons!)
- Acrobat Reader for viewing the PDF file (click to download it for free)
- Knit fabric with at least 5% spandex/lycra content. It MUST have a four-way stretch (meaning that it stretches both vertically and horizontally) and about a 50% stretch. More information is given in the instructions on how to choose fabric and the amount needed.
- 1″ (2.5 cm) non-roll elastic for the waistband
- Ballpoint pins*
- Polyester thread*
- Stretch needle*
- Standard sewing machine (serger/overlock machine optional for some steps)
- Stretch twin needle* (optional)
You can download the pattern files immediately after purchase, or download them from the email that will be sent to the address you purchased from. Please note that you will only be able to download the files THREE times, so please make sure that you will be able to save them when you click to download. The three downloads do not expire, so there is no rush to do so immediately!
Visit Cucicucicoo for free sewing and crafting tutorials and patterns, and sign up here for the bi-monthly newsletter for dozens of free patterns, sewing and crafting tutorials, news and tips, and links to other free patterns!
Don’t forget to show off your work! Post pictures of your Simple Leggings to Kollabora, the Cucicucicoo Facebook page or any other social media with the hashtag #cucicucicoopatterns! And for any questions at all, feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
*All starred links are affiliate links which help fund this blog. All opinions are my own.
Please read my affiliate link disclosure for more information.