Leggi questo post in: Italiano
What is it about snow that is so magical?! Is it the soft ting of cold as it hits your skin? Or the bright twinkle snowflakes make in the sun? The muted sounds right after snow has fallen? The sensation of catching frozen bits of water as they fall from the sky? The joy of creating a snowman or sledding down a hill? Whatever it is, I wanted to recreate that magic as best I could, and came up with these no sew felt snowflake ornaments.
These snowflakes are incredibly easy and quick to make and can be used in different ways. You can use them as Christmas tree decorations. Put one on a gift package for a pretty seasonal look. Or string a bunch together and hang as garlands.
But my family’s favorite way is by far to string together a few snowflakes on several lengths of thread, then hang them from the ceiling to simulate snowfall inside the home! This way they’re a good second best to the real thing!
Sure, you can use regular store-bought felt, but one of my favorite crafting materials, felted wool sweaters, make much more pretty and substantial snowflakes!
Want to make some of your own no sew felt snowflake ornaments? Let’s get started!
- One old white wool sweater, previously felted in the washing machine or 6 x 12 cm of white felt per snowflake
- Fabric scissors*
- Rotary cutter*, cutting mat* and quilting ruler* (optional, but recommended)
- Glue gun. Any size is fine, but I suggest a mini glue gun* for this small-sized project. I have a Dremel 910.
- Two sequins* per snowflake
- Thin and/or invisible thread for hanging
Before you start, make sure you’ve completely felted your wool sweaters according to the directions in this post.
How to make no sew felt snowflake ornaments:
1. Cut a 6 x 12 cm rectangle of felt or material from the felted sweater. Then cut this piece into six 1 x 12 cm strips. You’ll find that you can cut a lot of rectangles this size from one sweater. Using a rotary cutter*, cutting mat* and quilting ruler* in this step will make it much easier and faster, creating perfectly straight strips that will fold and fit together better.
2. Fold a strip in half. Put a bit of hot glue inside the fold and press tight.
4. Glue two strips together on the outside of the folds (shown by the arrow).
6. Glue the three pairs of strips together in the center to make a sort of wheel shape.
9. Join two adjacent strips, this time the two sides of the SAME folded strip.
11. Repeat steps 9-10 with the other strips.
13. Glue a sequin in the center of each side. And the first of your no sew felt snowflake ornaments is done!
Seeing as you’re already creating handmade holiday cheer with felted wool sweaters and hot glue, why not make a few no-sew poinsettia decorations, too?
*All starred links are affiliate links which help fund this blog. All opinions are my own.
Please read my affiliate link disclosure for more information.